It would be impossible for me to tell you how many times I’ve been in the company of someone when they’ve said “I love a challenge.” To be honest, I probably couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve jokingly said it myself. But when my daughter asked me to take the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge – initially, I was definitely not loving this challenge…
She accepted her challenge yesterday, and I chuckled as I previewed her video. After she challenged me, I realized I didn’t know “everything” there was to know about this new craze all over the internet. Sure I knew Hollywood was doing it – and sports figures were doing it – I even caught the Kennedy’s on the news “doing it.” But what really was “it?”
- I knew “of” ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis)
- I knew it was a horrible debilitating disease.
- I knew, eventually it can _ _ _ _.
But because of the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, I now wanted to know more.
Here is where I watched a video featuring the story of former Boston College Captain Pete Frates, who actually inspired the ice bucket challenge phenomenon that’s raised awareness and millions for ALS.
- I did not know his story.
- I did not know ALS affects four in 100,000 people in the U.S.
- I did not know in the last 24 days, the ALS Association has raised $41.8 million from people inspired to donate thanks to the ice bucket challenge (total money raised last year was $64,000.)
- I did not know since July 29th, the ALS Association has had 637,527 new donors.
Now that I “knew”, I was ready to accept my challenge!…
I decided to include Harley because, well, he and I do practically everything together, and through his website, we reach more people then ever. I tried my best to discuss this with him, but the more I explained what we were about to do and why, the more he licked my face. I interpreted this as an “I accept too!” sign.
With Doodle Dad on camera and our neighbor Mark on “bucket” we were ready to record…
What good is a challenge if you can’t keep it going? Therefore, I challenge the following pet blogging buddies of mine (you know I love you, right?):
Ann of Pawsitively Pets
Kimberly of Keep the Tail Wagging
Jessica of Beagles and Bargains
Ladies, if you accept this challenge, you’ve got 24 hours to “do it” and “post it” (FB is cool too!)
Oh My Doodle it was cold…
I want to thank my daughter for challenging me.
- Not because I got to play in some water on a hot afternoon
- Not because I now had a blog post topic to share
- Not because I wanted to be part of a YouTube craze
Because now I am more aware of ALS, and its need for even small donations, and now I have empowered you by sharing this information.
DISCLAIMER: Harley is fine, didn’t really get that wet, and he wasn’t damaged in anyway by the ice.
Life is never dull here in Doodleville…
Have a great weekend, be safe and we’ll be back on Monday.