There are many benefits to adding a probiotic to your dogs diet. But if this is all new to you – don’t fret, I didn’t always know it either. #learningtogether
– is a beneficial bacteria that lives in the digestive tract which all dogs can benefit from. They aid in digestion and in Harley’s case they modulate his immune system…
You see, Harley’s immune system needs “boosting.” If at all possible, I prefer for him to receive that naturally.
I want to strengthen his immune system. We’ll have a greater chance of reducing and possibly eliminating his environmental allergy issues. #beatthatitch
Dogs with a reduced immune system, such as puppies, senior dogs or dogs with chronic diseases (like Harley’s dreadful bout with Giardia the first year of his life), benefit from probiotic supplements.
HOW DOES PROBIOTICS WORK FOR DOGS? –
Probiotics promote enzymatic activity necessary for breaking down the elements of a dog’s food. They help dogs absorb the nutrients from their food much better!
Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that already exist in your dog’s intestines. Due to illness, change in diet, medications and even stress, a condition called dysbiosis, or microbial imbalance, allows “bad” bacteria to overwhelm the “good” bacteria living in your dog’s GI tract.
Dysbiosis directly reduces immune system functioning in affected dogs, making them vulnerable to everything from chronic diarrhea and malnutrition to skin diseases, allergies (both seasonal and environmental) and a variety of infections.
Many health issues suffered by dogs–gastrointestinal disorders, allergies, pancreatitis, excessive gas, lethargy and skin problems–can be traced back to nutritional deficiencies caused by lack of enzymatic activity. With probiotic supplements, you can eliminate these problems without making your dog feel worse by putting him on a regimen of antibiotics.
What probiotics do is restore balance to the gut flora so that “good” bacteria proliferate and out-populate harmful bacteria in the dog’s intestine. Source: Doggy Digest
MY PROBIOTIC CHOICE? –
It contains vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, trace elements, enzymes, protein and fatty acids. It’s easily digestible and tolerable even for dogs with digestive issues.
MY PROBIOTIC BRAND? –
Pro Bloom Instant Goat’s Milk by The Honest Kitchen!
You might remember I first talked about Pro Bloom when I made Mango Banana Freeze Pops.
It was one of the four ingredients in the recipe…
Pro Bloom’s all natural goat’s milk PLUS probiotics formula is a way for them to receive daily immune and digestive support.
I’ve incorporated it in both Harley & Jaxson’s diets because it’s created for all life stages…
The 6 oz container will last me approx. two months. I like the powder form. I simply mix a little with warm water and hydrate their food for breakfast.
❤️ You can find several recipes from The Honest Kitchen using Pro Bloom here
Shop amazon.com for Instant Goat’s Milk
If you’re still on the fence as to whether or not you want/need to incorporate a probiotic into your dogs diet then –
- do a little research – you’ll never go wrong when you arm yourself with a little knowledge.
- speak to your veterinarian – I always seek Doodle Doc’s advice about every and anything when it comes to the Boys.
Friendly bacteria can play a “best supporting” role in your dog’s digestive health. Source: The Whole Dog Journal
A FEW DISCLAIMERS –
- I am not a veterinarian nor a scientist. I’m a pet parent always interested in understanding more about my dogs.
- Cathy C. Bennett is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
- Groovy Goldendoodles™ is in a partnership with The Honest Kitchen®. GGD is being compensated for helping spread the word about The Honest Kitchen®, but Groovy Goldendoodles™ will only share information about a product we feel is relevant to our readers. The Honest Kitchen® is not responsible for the content of this article. I look to Harley and Jaxson for tail wagging approval.
It’s Wednesday, do the “hump” dance today!
Thank you for stopping by – share us with your friends!
This is our “wordy” contribution in the BlogPaws Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.