Thanks for coming back for part 2….

So last week in “part 1”, I focused on the boys eating so much grass! They aren’t sick (at least not to my knowledge) when they ingest the “green blades of yum”, yet they continue to nibble when we’re outside. As I surfed the net looking for information, I began to think about all the other “bad things” they could get into to include inside our own home.

In my internet travels I stumbled upon a phone app (right now with IPhone) for pet poisons. I know – you know – there are substances in and around your home that are hazardous to your pet? Of course you do! your a “good” pet parent. You buy “silk” Poinsettias during the holidays, and you know to keep the chocolate candies out of their reach. But do you know what to do when they get a hold of the chocolate?

What about when you are on a walk, or in your garage, and before you realize it, they’ve eaten some “found” treasure that isn’t a treasure at all? Do you know or have something with you readily available to tell you what you’re supposed to do first?

So I found this:

A “Pet Poison Helpline” at your fingertips.

For just pennies – you can download information on hundreds of household products and plants that are potentially toxic to your pet with steps to take if your dog is exposed to one of these toxins.

Pet parents can now quickly identify potential poisons, recognize the symptoms, while getting help from the helpline.

For only .99 cents they will provide:

  • Life -saving access to poison information with one-touch direct dialing to Pet Poison Helpline
  • A searchable database of over 250 poisonous plants, foods, medications and household items, all with pictures! (love the pictures)
1 Comment
  • Rona Smith
    April 28, 2012

    This application is very useful! My dog, Piper, is notorious for eating pre-chewed bubble gum on our walks and has made finding this delicacy an art form. I’ve tried scouting the area prior to taking her down the route, but it never fails. Before I even see the gum, she has spotted it, tasted it for good measure, and then swallowed it whole. I often wonder what makes her do that and if it is harmful for her. I didn’t find gum under pet poisons which made me feel less worried. There is definitely no substitute for the expertise of a licensed veterinarian. However, it nice to have a starting place and information that can help you distinguish pet parent paranoia from a true emergency