Air dried dog food by Ziwi Peak ended my arduous journey in search of a species appropriate diet for the Boys …
The last time I wrote about those annoying environmental allergens taking over our lives, I decided to switch to a Raw Fed diet.
In a sense I did (in an air-dried kind of way)…
Dogs are carnivores and they thrive on meat. Their bodies aren’t designed to digest carbohydrates like grains, soy, corn, potatoes, wheat and rice. Source: Ziwi Peak
Through multiple conversations and a few sleepless nights searching for answers as Harley scratched himself raw – I learned – the more dogs are exposed to potential allergens like corn, wheat and soy ingredients, the more likely they are going to develop a reaction.
Raw food diets are typically grain-free and gluten-free which significantly reduces the risk for allergic reactions. Also the high nutritional value of a raw food diet for dogs may also help resolve issues with environmental allergies.
WHY AIR-DRIED DOG FOOD? –
- My lifestyle is not conducive to a total raw switch at the present time. Still in “house renovation hell”, and the kitchen is going to be the largest project – making it the last on the list.
- I have no idea where to store large quantities of raw meat. Co-op’s are not close by, the local butcher thinks I’m crazy #gottaeducate and I can’t purchase a freezer without knowing where it will reside permanently.
- Harley’s leg pits where he licks constantly can’t wait for the renovations. Jaxson will surely loosen something important shaking his head because of his ear issues.
Feeling defeated AND frustrated an angel appeared in the form of a fellow Doodle therapy handler who told me about Ziwi Peak…
Elated – I scoured their website – #twice, watched a short, informative and interesting video…
…then called the company and proceeded to ask numerous questions.
- 95% is meat, organs, bone, and seafood.
- The other 5% consists of essential vitamins, minerals natural kelp, parsley, chicory inulin and lecithin.
- All tier natural ingredients are sourced from the green free range farms and blue pristine oceans of New Zealand.
- Instead of allergy inducing low cost filler such as grains, corn, potatoes, wheat and rice – they have organs like heart and lung because that’s what dogs eat when they catch their prey in the wild.
- Green-lipped mussel, a natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin to support long-term joint health.
- A natural super-food (Green Tripe) assists with gut health and digestion.
WHERE’S THE BEEF? –
It’s actually in their food LOL
- green mussel
- dried kelp
- sea salt
WEEK TWO –
No complaints – no issues. Too early to expect the allergy symptoms to disappear but detoxification is working!..
Hang with us – you’ll crack up on Friday when I tell you about my cross country walk for a little bit of poop!
New Monday, new week, new goals ❤️