The Pet Mahal – the end of my exhausting and depressing search for the pawfect pet salon and spa!
Last week I whined and shared my anguish over the perils of finding the right groomer for the Boys here in Charleston SC. #thanksforlistening
It was so disheartening to learn that All Dog Groomers Can’t Groom.
Outside of Lowe’s one afternoon I had a lengthy discussion with a Labradoodle owner about groomers. She explained to me that many people in this area (herself included) choose to “shave” their doodles because of the warm temperatures, the water, and the low maintenance factor. #notourstyle
Whether or not this is true, I crossed my fingers and prayed daily for a place similar to what we had in Virginia.
The Boys were starting to take on this “Little Orphan Doodle ” look so locating a groomer was becoming a major necessity. We were running out of time…
Curious about the name, I had to ask. The owner said she was inspired by the story behind The Taj Mahal: After the death of Mughal emperor Shah Jahan’s third wife, he wanted to construct a magnificent specimen of Mughal architecture. A monument symbolizing the eternal love towards his wife Mumtaz.
And for the first time in weeks, I felt that love and was comfortable about scheduling the Boys for a bath.
Their groomer Christine – understood my neurotic behavior, embraced my barrage of questions, and treated me like I was a normal pet parent. #lovethisgirl
She never batted an eye when I handed her the phone…
…to talk to this guy – #mymainman Fernando Lobo from Virginia…
They chatted at great length and I listened intently. #earhustling
I left with very little worry in my spirit. #okaytherewasalittle
LATER THAT DAY –
When Theresa (owner) brought them out, I fought back tears. They looked so fresh and so CLEAN!…
They were smiling and seemed happy. I was anxious for a full report –
- Harley the model client, did everything that was asked of him.
- Jaxson they said was fidgety and uncooperative.
The news about my baby boy Jax saddened me, because he was used to the bath routine with Fernando in VA. Yet just two unpleasant visits to the wrong groomer seems to have erased it all. #insertbadwordshere
As I suspected, there is a great deal of uneven-ness in their coats from where the other groomer did some slicing and dicing during their baths.
However, the hair will grow back and I believe all memories will fade over time as well.
SO WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE? –
I’ve got a plan –
- I’ve purchased a used grooming table complete with two adjustable arms. I’m thinking I can incorporate its use into my daily morning brush routine. It will be great for my lower back #gettingolder and hopefully I can help Jax re-establish a positive relationship with the table and the tools. #onecanonlytry
- We will continue to get baths from The Pet Mahal every two weeks, and eventually work up to a full groom. I like their facility, their friendliness, their experienced groomer AND the fact that they are members of the NDGAA. #huge
- And since the Boys are squeaky clean and my laundry’s done, there’s nothing left to do this weekend but hit the streets and have some fun…
Be kind to someone and as always, thank you so very much for sharing me with all your friends!