In less than two weeks, I will be living with a senior dog! #Inocanbelieveit While we gather round our Thanksgiving dinner table giving thanks for all we have – we will also celebrate Harley’s 7th birthday…
It seems like only last week his biggest obstacle was navigating the stairs…
Time really does fly when you’re having fun!
But now that we’re here –
WHAT DO I DO? –
I’ve read so many conflicting reports discussing “when does a dog qualify as a senior.” Is it too early to start thinking about all of this?
Some veterinarian professionals consider a dog a “senior” earlier than the average pet parent: 5-7 years old. While the majority believed 7-9 years was more accurate.
Keep in mind that varying breeds and sizes age at different rates. Since “Goldendoodles” are rarely mentioned in statical data #needtofixthat I must compare his two distinct parental breeds to get as close to an answer as I can.
Looks like 7 is his lucky number!
But now that Harley’s reached “seniorhood” …
How do I keep him in tip top doodle shape?…
He depends on me…
I’VE GOT TO GET A PLAN –
For starters, I pledge to do my part.
I must –
- continue to educate myself on nutrition and natural supplements: so grateful to Veterinarian medicine, the internet, fellow bloggers who share their wealth of experience and knowledge.
- monitor his health and take action when/if I see a change: I am intimately familiar with every nook and cranny of Harley’s body #tmi
- schedule regular wellness exams! Just like humans, as he grows older his health check-ups are increasingly more important. In addition to those battery of diagnostic tests, regular exams will –
- promote his health and longevity
- recognize and control his health risks
- detect something in its early stages
Harley takes excellent care of me! He keeps me happy, makes me laugh more than a dozen times a day. He will cuddle with me in a New York minute when I’m afraid, sad, or sick.
The least I can do is continue to make sure he has the best life possible. Thank the Doodle, so far – so good…
No matter what the age – hug your dog today!
Here are two sites I found interesting. I even shared some of their data in this post 🙂
I am joining the Monday Mischief blog hop brought to you by My Brown Newfies. The Hop that wraps up the weekend.