The great dog harness debates between Doodle Dad and I take place almost every time the four of us leave the house. We’re civil and courteous to each other, but we just can’t seem to agree on the pros/cons when it comes to using a dog harness…
A harness differs from a collar in that it takes the strain off of your dog’s neck and distributes it either across his chest or back, depending on the design of the harness. The main benefit of a harness, then, is that it prevents injuries to your dog’s trachea, especially if he has a tendency to pull on the leash. Another benefit of the harness is that it gives you greater control over your dog – this is also a benefit if your dog is big or overly active. Source: Petguide
Jaxson is an equal opportunity puller! The things that excite him are unpredictable to me. With a regular collar, I’m headed wherever he wants to go! #leashslave
Walks became easier when I switched to a harness.
WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE –
We’re a society of choices and dog harnesses are no different.
There are several types –
- Roman – the most common. They attach around the girth of the dogs chest and have a collar like component that fits around the dogs neck with material that connects the two.
- Step In – these generally have a figure eight configuration. Your dog steps into the harness with their front legs and straps go around the girth and front of your dogs chest, with the buckle of snap connecting to the top.
- No Pull – used to offer greater control for dogs that want to pull hard. It has a girth strap that attaches around the dogs check behind the front legs but also has a chest strap that connects across the breast of your dog. When he tries to pull, he’s forced to turn and face you, which discourages him from pulling.
Jaxson uses a “no pull” harness..
…for me – the harness makes a tremendous difference. I no longer go where I don’t want to go! #doodleincharge
But for whatever reason, Lee never cared for it, and was openly vocal,
Jaxson found the water fountain at Marion Square…
Almost 70lbs now, he’s what my grandmother would describe as “thick.”
- built like a brick house
- mac truck
When he decides he wants to go somewhere, you’re going. Whether you want to or not!
A traditional collar prohibits
you me from having much control. I also worry about his neck.
He loves water and when he’s fixated on something – he seems to develop super powers…
a person who is fascinated by water, intensely attracted to water, or loves to play in water.
Change the word “person” to “Doodle” and you’ve got Jaxson…
And Lee found this out when Jax saw the fountain.
Holding him back wasn’t easy…
…but with the harness, they both didn’t end up in the fountain. #mycamerawasready
Lee no longer complains about how he’d prefer a regular collar and leash.
He recognizes why I reach for it often.
He understands it’s not only helping break his “pulling” habit without hurting or harming him, but it also gives us more control when we see things like water!
On occasion I test drive a traditional collar. Just curious to see if the harness (along with my commands) are working together correcting this behavioral impulse to pull. Some days I see improvement. Other days? I’m going places I don’t want to go #itsaprocess
WHAT ABOUT HARLEY? –
Harley doesn’t pull. He also has no real interest in water. So while Doodle Dad struggled with the #dolphindoodle, Harley kissed and played with the babies…
ON A SERIOUS NOTE –
Did you know dogs with special needs also benefit from using a harness –
- Pushed in faces (Pugs, Bulldogs)
- Delicate Tracheas (Pomeranians, Miniature Poodels
- Elongated Necks (Greyhounds, Whippets)
- Medical Conditions
- Respiatory Disease
- Neck Injuries
But please make sure you choose the correct size.
Also be aware – using some types of harnesses can encourage some dogs to pull, which can be counterproductive to their overall training. Anti-Pull Training Harnesses are also available for dogs that need correction while wearing a harness.
What’s your preference – collar or harness?
It’s Monday – time to sparkle & shine ❤️
Good reads –